A Long History on St. Clair West
There are three dates on the St. Matthew's foundation stone, which hint at the long history of the church in this community.
1878 – The wood-frame Zion Methodist church was built on a site just east of the current St. Matthew’s. A group of local farmers had organized prayer meetings beginning in 1876.
1889 – A red brick church in the gothic style was built at Rushton Rd. and St. Clair West on land donated by Richard Perry. It had stone foundations, a slate roof, stained glass windows and an 80-foot spire. This Zion Methodist Church was big enough for 400 people. In 1915, the official board changed the name to St. Clair Methodist.
1924 -- The new church called St. Clair Methodist was completed, again on land donated by the Perry family. It seated 850 people. At the time of union in 1925, it became St. Clair United Church. The name was changed to St. Matthew’s in 1966, when it amalgamated with St. Columba.