Designers of the 1924 Sanctuary
St. Matthews’s United Church is a beautiful and well-crafted example of Renaissance Revival design applied to a religious building. It was quite unusual design for Toronto, inspired by 16th century Italian architecture. The round-arched windows and symmetrical placement of columns gives it an airy, light atmosphere and the vaulted ceiling contributes to the beautiful acoustics. It was declared a heritage building in 2010.
The church, then called St. Clair Methodist, was designed by Toronto architects Wickson & Gregg. Alfred Holden Gregg (1868-1945) went into partnership with A. Frank Wickson (1861-1936) in 1903. Their collaboration, lasting for more than 30 years, proved to be both prolific and formidable, as they won commissions from some of the wealthiest families in the city, including John Craig Eaton, Lieut. Governor Herbert A. Bruce, David A. Dunlap, and Joseph W. Flavelle.
The arched windows are plain in the Methodist style.