The 1889 and 1878 Churches
This image of the red brick 1889 church is from an old church bulletin. Originally called Zion Methodist Church, it had a 80-foot spire and ornate windows. It was built on a lot on Rushton Rd. donated by the Perry family, who were market gardeners.
The original Zion church, dating from 1878, moved from its spot east of here, is seen at the back. That was later demolished for a Sunday School wing.
Richard Perry named Rushton Rd. for his former home in England. Mrs. Perry was daughter of Stephen Rogers, for whom Rogers Rd. is named. Their home was on the west side of Rushton Rd. and their farm extended from Christie to St. Clair Ave.
Melodian from 1878 Church
In 1878, the Zion Methodist Church was built on a piece of land donated by the Punnett family slightly east of the current St. Matthew’s United Church. The 20 by 40-foot (6 x 12 metre) wood-frame church was erected in a working bee by local people. It seated 100 people on wooden benches and had a Sunday School with 40 students.
For music, the church bought a melodian for $24 from Bathurst Street Church. In 1918, that melodian was converted into a desk that still sits in the parlour of St. Matthew's church.