St. Matthew's Church History
Where Faith Builds a Supportive Community For All.
St. Matthew's United is a community of diverse ages, stages and backgrounds. Our building is home to Vaughan Co-op Nursery, the Wychwood Open Door, Karate classes, piano lessons, Yoga sessions and different arts and cultural groups, as well as 3 worshiping congregations.
St. Matthew’s United Church is an inclusive, vibrant community of faith. We value the relationships that shape this community, and the people who make us who we are. Our ministry includes partnerships with St. Matthew’s Bracondale House, a home for seniors, and the Wychood Open Door, a drop-in program for those in our community who are marginalized and socially isolated. Our programs and outreach are rooted in our belief that God calls each of us to offer prophetic love and presence. We worship creatively, live faithfully, and love boldly.
We are blessed to be a part of a big story of faithful people seeking to live love in this community, for many, many years. Here are some of the significant pieces in this rich story that has brought us to where we are today…
St. Clair began as a small group of Methodists in the Bracondale area organized services in 1867 in cottages at Benson and Rushton and near Tyrell and Rushton. They organized a Sunday School and an Official Board to serve the small congregation. Rev. Dr. Cade of Euclid Avenue Primitive Methodist Church gave some direction.
By 1878, they had built a small church, called Zion Methodist, on Rushton Rd. on land given by Richard Punnett. A red brick church was built in 1889 and a Sunday school building in 1915. During this period, the church was renamed St. Clair Methodist Church.
As the congregation grew, plans were made for a new building on Rushton Rd. at St. Clair. This land was donated by Richard Perry. A cornerstone was laid on April 12, 1924 and the church was dedicated on Nov. 23, 1924. The Crang family later donated an organ.
Our current church space is a beautiful Methodist-style building dedicated on April 12, 1924. This community is the result of the joining of five churches from the neighbourhood: St. Clair, St. Columba, Epworth, Dufferin and Oakwood. When St. Columba amalgamated with St. Clair United Church in 1966, the church name was changed to St. Matthew’s United Church.